- Plant breeders contribution to the food supply chain is paramount. Its work has allowed improvements in recent years, both in terms of quality and versatility, to the agri-food production and supply, increasing consumers choices.
- The work carried out by the plant breeding sector has contributed to improve food security. Plant breeding, along with other improvements in production processes, contributes to the creation of higher quality, longer-lasting and safer foods.
- Plant breeding applied technologies increase efficiency and productivity, and improves processes. Thanks to these technologies and the research and innovation of plant breeders, the entire value chain has opportunities to improve from growing to processing end products.
OBJECTIVES GROUPED BY AREAS OF INTEREST
- Dialoguing, as representative of the seeds and plant breeding industry, with public administrations, especially regarding R&D policies.
- Representation and coordination of the plant breeding sector active in Spain, in front of national and international bodies and associations, particularly regarding technological aspects.
- Intellectual Property protection of plant breeders.
- Become a platform for plant breeding analysis, studies, assessments and activity with regard to legislation and regulations related to the sector and new plant varieties.
- Support to plant breeding sector regarding technological aspects of seeds and plants treatments and processing. Technology allows improvements along the entire value chain, from growth until final products transformation.
- Collaboration with public research centres and universities. R&D investment are key for breeding new plant varieties adapted to our territory, and for adding value to the whole food supply chain.
- The communication and defence of plant breeding and new technologies value in agriculture, as well as the promotion in front of the whole society of the key importance of seeds as the origin of the food supply chain. Plant breeding contributes to the creation of higher-quality, long lasting and safer food, increasing also the offer in terms of quality, quantity, and seasonal availability.
- The defence of farmers and their right to get certified seeds adapted to their local needs and to be guaranteed about the transparency and traceability on this market.
- The defence of consumers and their right to have a wide range of safe, high-quality foods along all seasons of the year.